Dark Cosmos

Posted on April 14, 2007  Comments (3)

I just finished reading Dark Cosmos: In Search of Our Universe’s Missing Mass and Energy by Dan Hooper. I found it an enjoyable read. The author writes well for a general audience, that like me, doesn’t have much of an knowledge of the topic. I think he did a good job of providing enough connection to the science but at a level that most interested in science could understand.

Some people think it is a bit too folksy, without enough science. I can see how some might feel this way, I think the balance is good but for those that want to dig into the details around dark matter and dark energy this is probably not the right book. For those that want to get a good idea of the basic concepts though I think this is a good choice. I like discussion of the process of scientific discovery – the uncertainly the adaption of ideas to new experimental results etc.. The tone is similar to Chaos and The Elegant Universe.

Related: science booksDan Hooper

3 Responses to “Dark Cosmos”

  1. Curious Cat Engineering and Science Blog » Looking for Signs of Dark Matter Over Antarctica
    November 20th, 2008 @ 8:35 am

    “High-energy electrons captured over Antarctica could reveal the presence of a nearby but mysterious astrophysical object that’s bombarding Earth with cosmic rays…”

  2. 5% of the Universe is Normal Matter, What About the Other 95%? » Curious Cat Science and Engineering Blog
    April 29th, 2011 @ 9:01 am

    What is the universe made of? 5% of it is normal matter (the stardust we are made of), 20% dark matter and the other 75%, ‘dark energy’…

  3. More Dark Matter Experiment Results » Curious Cat Science Blog
    June 9th, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

    “Theorists had predicted that dark matter experiments would detect an annual modulation because of the relative motion of the Earth and sun with respect to the plane of the Milky Way galaxy….”

Leave a Reply





Current ye@r *